Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pumpkins are Coming!

Wow! Has it really been three weeks since my last post?! I'm so sorry for my absence. I've been busy mixing clay and getting initial forms and shapes built, so I haven't had anything fun and exciting to post. For some reason, the clay is not drying as fast as I would like right now. Must be a lot of humidity in the air. I stopped using my "drying closet" that I made a while back as it's costing a FORTUNE to run the dehumidifier and fan. So, I'm drying the clay the old fashioned way; with LOTS of patience ;)

I do have several new piece finished, including this Pumpkin Lantern. He's hand-sculpted from papier-maché and sits inside a tin pail. An electric tea light inside gives him a fun and spooky glow. It could even be used as a little candy dish! This fun fellow will make his debut on Spookytime Jingles, the May 13th at midnight. I'm only making two of these and the other will be sold at Halloween and Vine.

As always, thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

BlacknickSculpture said...

It looks sharp David! The electric tea light adds an interesting touch to it.

This character has a great expression! It reminds me of someone about to step into a dentist's office.

angella said...

He's so cute! If I were You I would look at him all the time!!!;) I wish have got something like this...

Len said...

He's great! I love the expression.

That is interesting about the cost of your drying set-up, I was considering doing something similar. I won't use your idea now!!!!

Anonymous said...

He's just fabulous!!! I love his expression and so cute holding the candle!
Pattee

Trish said...

Adorable as always. I can sympathize about the cost of the dehumidifier. I had the same problem and we have had nothing but rain rain and more rain lately. Patience is a little thin on the ground here at the moment. LOL

Jonty said...

As always great shape & expression.

yoborobo said...

He's so cute! I love the fact that he has a little tea light. :) Nice!! Pam

KatHreN said...

love him as always....bummer about the drying.....I hate waiting for my clay to dry!!!

Smilodonna said...

As always, he has tons of personality! I love the varied textures you used, and for some reason the wrinkled brow emphasizes the expression all the more. Whom ever takes him or his brother home will be very lucky!

Jorge de Rojas said...

He looks great David. Sorry to hear about your magic oven cost. If it's any help I have a gas stove and dry my pieces using the pilot light, hope you have gas!
No pun intended.

William Bezek said...

Nice work!

Dani Pavlova said...

I spent two funny hours in your blog.I will smile whole day. Thaks a lot.