Friday, November 5, 2010

Gentlemen, Start Your Brushes!


Holy Cow! Do I have a lot of painting ahead of me! My next show (Harvest Festival) is now 4 weeks away...and I've still got lots of work ahead of me. The good news is that I finished the last of my sculpting yesterday. All the figures are sanded and gesso'd. Now it's time to put the brush to the acrylics and paint like crazy!




I love the painting process. I think it goes way back to when I first started to learn ceramic painting in the late 70's. My mom and I took a class at a local ceramics store and learned all about dry brushing, antiquing, etc. Some of the techniques I still use to this day! There was something so magical about walking through the store and looking at all those unfinished pieces and just imaging the possibilties of what I could do with them. My biggest achievement at that time was painting an entire nativity set (including shepards, cows AND sheep). There was a total of 10 pieces in that set. Took me 4 months to finish.




Now, I look at the 50+ pieces I have in front of me to paint in less than 4 weeks, wishing I had the stamina I did back in 1979.

Okay, enough nostalgia...back to work!
Post a Comment