Thursday, March 19, 2009

Chicken Lips WIPS


Unfortunately, I don't have any finished pieces to post this week. I've been working my tail off building LOTS of new pieces that are still drying. Luckily, our dry and warm (86˚ today!) weather is helping move things  along. I've got about 15 pieces built this week - here are a few that are in progress..candy containers! I love old, vintage candy containers and wanted to try my hand at making some - with my own spin on them, of course. At first I was perplexed at how I could make the inside hollow and smooth. I remember back to my elementary school days when we wrapped papermache newspapers around a balloon. Unfortunately, a balloon isn't firm enough to use as a form with Paperclay....a balloon that is filled with air, that is. Fill the balloon with sand and VIOLA! It's firm enough to mold around. The great thing is that I can make the form as big or as small as I want it to be, and when it's done, I cut a slit in the balloon, drain out the sand...instant hollow candy container! Now, all this in in theory - I'm still waiting for the piece to dry before I can remove the sand. But, I'm optimistic it's gonna work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Post a Comment