Monday, September 27, 2010

Halloween and Vine - The Afterglow

As any artist who has ever worked a show will tell you, it can be an emotional roller coaster. The "fun" starts long before the show as you frantically try to get enough pieces made before the event. Then, as it approaches, you begin to question: do I have enough merchandise...do I have TOO much merchandise...are my prices too high...too low...will I even sell anything?

All those questions were answered, and I am happy to say that as an artist, my participation in Halloween and Vine was one of the best exhibiting experiences I have ever had.


More than 200 people were lined up before the doors opened at 9am. Some folks were there at 5:30 am!!!! Talk about determination! And believe me, these folks are determined! When the doors opened, the customers rushed past my table in search of their favorite artists; William Bezek, Nicol Sayer, Jack Roads.... It was like a feeding frenzy at many of these wonderful artist's tables. It was at least 10 minutes before anyone came to my table. And what a long 10 minutes that was. All those feelings of doubt kick in...I don't belong here...my work is just not good enough...maybe my stuff is just too "cute" for these collectors....


But then, it hit!!!! I had a customer, and then another, and then another. Before long, I had a line of people in front of my table holding 2 or 3 pieces each waiting to make their purchases! While I answered questions and made the sales, my partner Marty was frantically wrapping and bagging the purchases. For a solid hour and a half, everything was a blur of credit cards,  receipts and bubble wrap! When the dust settled and I was finally able to take a breath, I realized that all those initial fears and doubts were unfounded.

Halloween and Vine is truly the quintessential collector's art show on the West Coast, and what an honor it was to be a part of it. The chance to show my work and the chance to meet some of my favorite artists (and exhibit amongst them!) was a dream come true.

I would like to thank all my collectors and friends who came out to see me. And a big thank you everyone who supported my art with your purchases and your words of encouragement. Just wait until you see what I have in store for Halloween and Vine 2011!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

David, you've just described how I am feeling... I can only hope that my table looks half a gorgeous as yours did.
Congratulations on doing well at H&V, you deserved it!

Lori

Maximus said...

Congrats on such a fabulous show! You should never doubt...you are a fantastic talent! Love your work!

ImagiMeri said...

David you are truly blessed, and deservedly so. I'm so very happy for you and wish you continued success.

Hugs,
Meri

Bearly Sane said...

Now that's what I call a great show! And it's lovely to see them lining up at the door...I am so happy for you David, but you put your heart into it, so you deserve the success.
Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane

yoborobo said...

David - none of your fans doubted for a minute that you would sell out. :) Congrats on a great show!

William Bezek said...

David, you made a smashing debut! And don't worry, next year the people that discovered you will be running straight for your table, it's actually a little frightening.
You wonder if maybe you should dive under the table and wait for the dust to clear.

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

I told you!!!! Your table looked terrific and I knew you would be a great hit!! Congratulations David!
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Lol David~ I agree you should never doubt yourself (famous last words: ) I Love your work! And I just know that from now until Halloween & Vine next year 2011, you'll be shocked at your popularity! If I wasn't going to Holland in a week for a month I'd of bought up several things! I'll have to wait and go to your easy when I get home.
Thanks for being my "haunted house buddy"
L~ pattee

Jonty said...

Well done & amongst top artists too there no topping you now lol. Great stuff.

Unknown said...

Congrats, David! I'm sorry the doubts found their way in...gosh, but we all get those, I'm afraid! I'm glad all things turned out positive for you! Your display pics are wonderful!

Creepy Creations by Jamie Moore said...

Congratulations on your show! Your stuff is awesome, you had nothing to worry about!!

Jamie

Trish said...

It sounds like so much fun. I wish I could have been there. I'm glad it was such a good experience for you. How could you ever have doubted your work? It's wonderful, to say the very least. I know how the aftermath turns into the afterglow. Haven't done a show for years, but love the feeling of meeting the people who actually want to buy your work. Nothing can replace that feeling, not even $$$$.

Anonymous said...

Have you recovered David?

I hope you have a glorious week-end

: )
Hugs to you~
Pattee

Unknown said...

I so wish I had some of these Halloween shows near me here in North Carolina. I only hope to be as good as you some day. You shouldn't have felt nervous at all cause your work is just as good as theres and I am glad you had a wonderful time.

theoldesaltbox said...

Congrats on your show! It looks like you had a lot of great pieces. I wish I could have been there!

Joyce Patton said...

David; I'm here at work bragging on you and your creations.... I LOVE the look of your table and SO happy that you had success at H & V!!

Kev and I will be there to see you in Pomona for sure... Can't wait!

Hugs ;-) Joyce Patton

Candylei said...

Lovely post right from the heart. EAch one of your chicken lips creations takes alot of time and talent so I'm so glad it went well for you.
Candylei