Thursday, January 22, 2009

PlayDoh - It's not just for kids anymore!


Seems that as far back as I can remember, I've had a can of Play-Doh sitting on my desk. Not only is it a great stress reliever and a wonderful way to distract your mind from the drudgeries of work, but the smell instantly takes you back to childhood! Recently, I've started using it as a sort of "sculpturer's doodle pad." If I "doodle" something that could possibly be expanded upon, I take a digital photo. Then, it's off to my studio to bring the idea to life. The Play-Doh creation is always very rough and nothing more than a jumping-off point for a more detailed design. But, it's a wonderful way of playing with design ideas without wasting PaperClay.

The two photos here illustrate the process. I knew I wanted to make a dog, but wasn't exactly sure how I was going to accomplish the head. Tinkering with the Play-Doh, I was able to get an idea of how to work it out; then, I set out to make the actual sculpture in PaperClay (the WIP is shown here.)

Get yourself some Play-Doh and start playing again. If nothing else, get it for that irresistable, memorable, childhood smell! It's "fountain of youth" in a can!

18 comments:

Christopher A. Klingler said...

TOO FUN!!! ~ U are SO creative!!!

Cheers,
Me (-:

The Texas Woman said...

Thanks for sharing your artistic thought/work process. I think I'll buy some just for the smell factor.

The Texas Woman

Halloween Fanatic said...

After seeing that piece-you really do have to take on my special project-I know it would be AWESOME!!!! We need to talk! Robert :)

Robin Armstrong Seeber said...

I LOVEEEE PLAYDOUGH..actually have the 'real' recipe from when my kids were little, if you want it let me know, smells just about the same too!
awesome idea, great pup! anxious to see him done! Robin

FishStikks said...

Playdough! Who would have thought, well, I mean besides you, hehe.

What a fabulous idea to use it for forming ideas before going for the real deal. Thanks so much for sharing that bit of insight. I totally need me some now, not just for the smell.

Can't wait to see how your little doggie turns out!

Unknown said...

I love your style! makes me chuckle and I always look forward to a good chuckle! thanks!

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

Great Tip David! Thanks for sharing :)...I LOVE the Dog!
Hugs..
Candy

Anonymous said...

He is going to look great and I love the little bones!

Ginny Diezel said...

What a great tip for all of us artists! Thanks! And the dawg is just too cute!

craftychick said...

OH MY GOSH!! That dog is too STINKIN CUTE!!! GREAT playdoh job!!!

Little Dollings by Brenda O. said...

David, what a great idea! Gosh, I miss play doh!

We're Sensory buddies! I keep a cup of Crayons in my Artsy room, only for the occasion sniff!!

hugs,
Brenda

Kathy Hunka said...

How very creative you are! You are genius! LOL
kathy

~dani~ said...

Great idea David, i will definitely try it! I forget what PlayDoh smells like!

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

You crack me up! I should have known you were a play-doh kind of guy. You realize if they see this you should receive a lifetime supply!!

The dog is great you funny guy!
Laurie

Robin Armstrong Seeber said...

hey, did you finish that pup yet!!! must be a cutie!! robin
how was your vacation!!

PJHornbergerFolkArtist.com said...

Love that dog! Can't wait to see him dressed... er... painted. ~PJ

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

I Hope you're having fun David! I miss you! :)
Candy

The Studio at Crow Haven Farm, LLC said...

First of all thank you for popping over to my little corner of the world and I'm so glad that you did because here I am reading this amazing post, which I really needed to see today! Thank you so much for this brilliant post! and yes, we must remember to play like did when we were just we lads and lassies!
Cheers!