Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hippity Hoppity Easter's on its Way



Here's a sneak peek at what I will be offering on Friday's update at Spookytime Jingles. Bunny Boy is a mixed media creation, Paperclay and wood. He's actually an autobiographical piece.

Here's the story...my parents owned their own business making children's furniture. They had a shop in Mentone, CA, on HWY 38 (a busy road that led up to Big Bear). On Easter weekend, my dad had the brilliant idea of dressing me in a bunny suit and standing me out in front of the store. Now, keep in mind, this was when I was in Jr. High - and you KNOW how devastating and embarrassing even the simplest of things can be at that age. I protested (to no avail) and my dad convinced me that no one I know would see or recognize me. Seemed logical, until I saw that the bunny suit did not have a full mask - it had a hole where my face would show through!!! No amount of penciled in whiskers or black bunny nose would hide my identity! It was demoralizing! Oh, and did I mention that several kids from school rode by on their bikes and laughed at me!

Aren't we artists lucky that we have an outlet for all our built up angst? Hey, Paperclay is a lot cheaper than therapy!

16 comments:

Lisa Gatz said...

Oh No, you got stuck in a bunny suit!! I'm so sorry for you. I hope your dad paid for your therapy. ;-) I love the piece. Those big grins always brighten my day.

{Daydreamer} said...

ROFLMBO - that's hilarious, David! I mean I feel so bad for you. How could your father be so cruel. Hee hee
Heather :)

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

I thought only my mother did those things...like the year she created a clown costume for me to wear while riding my unicycle in the parade...it was a special surprise for me--AHHHHHHH!! I never wanted to ride my unicycle in a parade nor did I want to dress like a clown. I lived through it, but understand your feelings completely. We are products of our childhoods!
Laurie

Halloween Fanatic said...

Bless your Heart and see I first thought of Ralphie from a Christmas Story!

Nat said...

I bet you had the same expression on your face that Bunny Boy has. Funny, I mean awful story.

FishStikks said...

HAHA! What a truly wonderful story! I can so totally see it all played out in my head, just like a movie.

Just think, had your Dad not convinced you that this would be a great idea you might very well be doing something else with your paperclay...and not necessarily in a good way.

Love him and I agree, can't help but think of Ralphie too!

Shoal Creek Cottage said...

O my goodness, I think I seen you in that bunny suit. lol
I am also from California but I lived on the other side of the tracks/mountains, Wrightwood. Now I am in Georgia.
I LOVE YOUR WORK. Someday I will own a piece of it you just wait and see.
Keep up the good work, you make me smile. Hugs Deb

Christopher A. Klingler said...

CUTE new piece & I bet you made a CUTE bunny 2! '-)

Chris (-:

Anonymous said...

No picture of you in the bunny suit---darn! Just kidding I would be so embarrassed too and sorry that happened :)
BTW--Bunny Boy is great and love the slippers!!

Robin Armstrong Seeber said...

GEEZE DAVID!! you coulda starred in The Christmas Story, our very own Ralphy!!! parents! love the bunny though!!! robin

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

Oh David..I can just picture how cute you must have looked in that Bunny Suit!..But at that age?! OMG I can imagine!
Love your Bunny :)..and I Love the new look of your Blog!
Hugs..
Candy

Unknown said...

oh Dear, how embarrassing, but what a great piece of artwork came out of it and a funny story to pass along.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine said...

Was it a pink bunny suit? Was that you I saw? Aww..how embarassing..I think all of us artists an relate in some way (ok many ways) and isnt great that we have our are to relieve our angst indeed! You have a wonderful site and your work has so much joie de vivre:) They are so alive and wonderful!
~Christine

Odddollz by Jacqui said...

hahahaha I can just imagin how embarassing that must have been, you parents were probably laughing their butts off inside watching you!! On the good side of this, I LOVE the bunny that came from this expierence!!! He is awesome and makes me smile HUGE:)

HUGZ
Jacqui

Unknown said...

would you believe it if I told you I once lived in Yucaipa at the foot of the mountain? Yup - it's a small world after all. :o)
And here's some love for the Bunny.
Love, love, love! He's really great!