Monday, April 6, 2009

A Special Gift From A Special Friend


I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me Saturday when I ventured out to the mail box. My friend Christopher Klingler (Designs by CK) sent me this original work of art! It was one of those COMPLETELY unexpected kind of surprises that just make you feel warm all over! Chris has beautifully depicted Divine in his (her?) unforgettable role as Babs Johnson in John Water's "Pink Flamingos." Chris knows I love John Waters (who actually hails from Chris's home state, MD). Chris has illustrated Babs in all her glory in colored pencil and ink in his unique and talented style. Chris is truly one of the most gifted illustrators that I know.

As far as "Pink Flamingos", it is without a doubt, my all time favorite Water's film. Now for those of you who haven't seen it, I can't recommend that you go run down to your local Blockbusters and rent it. As a film, it is filthy, offensive, shocking and in absolutely poor taste...I love it! But, it's most definitely not for everyone - certainly not for the faint of art!

Thank you Chris for your most generous gift! You are a talented artist and all around great guy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL No It is not for the faint of heart as you say David... I saw "Pink Flamingos" not knowing what it was about.... WOW! Shocking to say the least... But I do LOVE John Water's films!
Pat

What a great surprise!
Pat

Once Upon A Blue Crow said...

That is a fabulous surprise and what a great movie review..."filthy, offensive, shocking and in absolutely poor taste" I'm gonna have to rent it. :]

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Hi David!

I'm tickled you like "her" so much! That makes me feel really good.

The pleasure was all mine!

Enjoy!!!

Chris (-:

The Studio at Crow Haven Farm, LLC said...

What a wonderful surprise for you! It's so nice to get those unexpected gifts, especially when you really, really don't expect it...and what a surprise. Chris' work is just absolutely amazing! Congrats on receiving this incredible piece!
Cheers!

yoborobo said...

LOVE John Waters!!!! And unexpected surprises are the best. :) I think Chris has captured Babs quite nicely. LOL. What a film!

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

What an AWESOME & thoughtful Gift!
Chris is what we used to call "Good People", back in the day..LOL..
And I LOVE "Pink Flamingos"! Divine would be do Proud!
Candy

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

Ok lets try..."Divine would be SO Proud"...LOL
Candy

Judy C said...

Da--, I need more eye make up. She is great. congrats

Jo James said...

Oooooh! WHat a wonderful surprise!
I immediately recognized Chris's style when I saw Ms. Babs.
Lucky you!

Amy said...

David, you'll always be my eggman!