Friday, August 21, 2009

Veggie Guy


I have always loved vintage "Veggie people." A traditional German Halloween icon, these rolly polly fellows always make me smile. A lot of wonderful artists I know make characters in this vintage style (Lori Rudolph and Jorge Rojas to name a couple). I thought it high time I gave one a try - with the Chicken Lips spin to it, of course!

The wonderful thing about these guys is that their look lends itself perfect to my big toothy grins! I constructed this fellow with a Fast Maché base to give him weight and substance. I sculpted his head and arms in Paper Clay, which gives me more control for shaping and sculpting. He is painted in acrylic washes, airbrushed, stained, given oil paint details and then sealed.
I also made a hanging ornament, just for fun!

I've made 4 veggie guys for the Fall season; two are going to my Fall show but the other two are up for grabs on my ETSY shop.

Thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

Jorge de Rojas said...

David, I love them, especially the ornie! Thanks for the mention, but especially for the continued inspiration as well.

Unknown said...

Whoo hoo! ~ I love 'em too!
Is the one a roly poly?... and of course thank you kindly for the nice words about me.
Looking forward to seeing the others :)

Lori

Sheryl Parsons said...

Way too adorable David! A true success!

Sheryl

William Bezek said...

Very fun! I like the new way you have done the eyes, they have a lot of personality!

Kathy said...

Way to cute! He looks great, as usual....off to check out your etsy shop...

Halloween Fanatic said...

GOSH DARNIT' I need a second job, I love the roly poly one-HOW CUTE!!!

Still wanting to see a Halloween Chicken-Great work as always!!
Robert

Chicken Lips said...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the comments.

Robert - a Halloween chicken IS in the works! Stay tunned!

yoborobo said...

These are so cute, and feel very nostalgic. :) Great work as always!

Christopher A. Klingler said...

CUTE & I knew it was only a matter of time... '-)

Chris (-'

Anonymous said...

David, I love that look. Does make me smile. And I'm a big fan of your skellys. ~PJ

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

Love him David! :)
Hugs,
Candy

Christopher A. Klingler said...

David!!! ~ You did a FABULOUS job with the new STJ ad. Scared of you (in a good way)! '-)

I did a PR blog post about it & you today! Check it out when you get a chance.

Thanks for preserving the artistic integrity of my original design!

SpOOky Best Always,
Chris (-:

KatHreN said...

LMAO.....I have been without my laptop for almost a week and I knew the first place I had to check was your blog. I knew it would make me smile and I actually laughed out loud(glad I'm alone)Saving my money now for ghoultide. Great job once again.
Kathren

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Adorable David!!!! They are so...you!!!
Laurie

Flossiekat said...

Awesome as always! Your creativity knows no bounds!