Monday, September 28, 2009

Lil' Devil

When I made my first devil a couple years ago, I thought "who would even buy this?" I grew up in a household where "the devil" was something you feared and dare not speak his name. But it was that taboo that made the idea of a guy in a red suit (or is that his skin?) and a pitch fork all the more interesting. I've actually had a customer at show comment that it was wrong to glorify "the devil." The fellows I make do not represent the ambassador of evil, but more of a playful, mischievous side that I believe is in every one of us.

Here's a peak at my latest mischief maker - and most likely the last I will have time to make for this season. He's a rolly polly fellow, approx. 11" high. Hand-sculpted from papier-maché and paper clay. With that grin on his face, you just know he's up to no good!

6 comments:

magikalseasons said...

He is a Fantstic Devil! I love those flames! I grew up in a similar way. I have a Devil Bucket I'm finishing. A family member said to me over the weekend "I wish you wouldn't make those". I thought it was so silly. Have a Devilish week! :)

KatHreN said...

I think he is adorable.....love him and his expression.
kathren

Jorge de Rojas said...

Hey David, He's great! Know what you mean about devil background, I feel the same. They are usually hit or miss but I love making them.
Jorge

yoborobo said...

When I was little, at Halloween, we got to dress up like the devil, pitchfork and all. I mean, it's FUN. Some people just take things waaaaaaaay too seriously. :) Love your little devil. I might have to try my hand at stitching one! :) Pam

Marie Patterson Studio said...

He's an adorable devil!
AND...I would have never been "allowed" to say that as a kid!

Lisa said...

Ohhhh...you're gonna go to Hell for saying that! That's what I got as a kid, and his expression looks just like, when my brother would say that to me! Excellent, AGAIN!