Monday, July 26, 2010

Dia De Los Chicken Lips

As a kid, I was petrified of skeletons, yet strangely drawn to them. As I grew, I started to find the humor in them. So when I discovered the tradition of Dia De Los Muertos art, I was hooked! I've been collecting pieces for quite a while now. And yet, I've never made a piece myself...until now.
Here is my first-ever Chicken Lips Dia de Los Muertos sculpt. I now really appreciate the detail that goes into painting a traditional skull! Lots of work! This fellow is hand sculpted from paper clay with a wire for hanging. I hope to make some more of these for some of my upcoming shows.

9 comments:

Georgina said...

Coming from a Dia de Los Muertos expert...cough...cough...all I can say is "you done good!!" I have a few of the sugared variety in my trastero...get one every year since my mom's cleaning lady lives in Juarez, just across the border...sadly, I don't go there anymore...too dangerous...used to love going over for food and folk art and just fun.

Anyway, great job David!!

Georgina

William Bezek said...

Very humorous!

ImagiMeri said...

David it's amazing!!!!! I love it, how much are you charging for it???? Can I buy one, can I barter or trade for it, can I do layaway????? I know, I know, I can make one, but it's an original "Chicken Lips" by you and it's gorgeous. Let me know.

Hugs,
Meri

Christopher A. Klingler said...

WOW!!!

SpOOky CK >:-)

yoborobo said...

It is so cool, David. I LOVE it (and you know I love skulls. :) No one does them like you do! :)) Pam

Unknown said...

What a fun fellow! :-)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous David!!! I love the painting you've done on him.

I've always loved skeletons, sculls and bones ever since I was little...
: )Pattee

by Wendy Leaumont said...

Totally awesome! I collect Day of the Dead stuff too! I love all the colors. This ornament is fantastic!

Light and Shadow Studio said...

I love him David! He puts a smile on my face. I know what you mean about painting them. I just finished 2 for STJ and it took me hours and hours to paint them. So much fun with the bright colors. I might have to do a few more to sell too. Thanks for sharing.