Friday, November 5, 2010

Gentlemen, Start Your Brushes!


Holy Cow! Do I have a lot of painting ahead of me! My next show (Harvest Festival) is now 4 weeks away...and I've still got lots of work ahead of me. The good news is that I finished the last of my sculpting yesterday. All the figures are sanded and gesso'd. Now it's time to put the brush to the acrylics and paint like crazy!




I love the painting process. I think it goes way back to when I first started to learn ceramic painting in the late 70's. My mom and I took a class at a local ceramics store and learned all about dry brushing, antiquing, etc. Some of the techniques I still use to this day! There was something so magical about walking through the store and looking at all those unfinished pieces and just imaging the possibilties of what I could do with them. My biggest achievement at that time was painting an entire nativity set (including shepards, cows AND sheep). There was a total of 10 pieces in that set. Took me 4 months to finish.




Now, I look at the 50+ pieces I have in front of me to paint in less than 4 weeks, wishing I had the stamina I did back in 1979.

Okay, enough nostalgia...back to work!

15 comments:

Maximus said...

Wowzers David!! Great work!!! I say drink tonight and start painting tomorrow! ;o)

Unknown said...

Ooo! What a treasure trove of holiday goodness! I remember those cool ceramic stores!The shelves were covered with every subject and style imaginable. Ahhh the good ol days. :-) Have fun!

~ Deb

Trish Stover said...

Wow! Do you ever Sleep? I see a cow face in there that really appeals to me, although how would I know? I ALL appeals to me! Good luck with the task ahead and your upcoming show.

Anonymous said...

Wow you do have your work cut out for you David! But I know you and your energy and it will be done before you know it... Well Ok maybe a little more than that!

I love looking at all your un-painted creations as much as I love looking at them finished!

Hmmm now how can I make it the harvest festival?????

Love~Pattee

Anonymous said...

Are you going to be at the San Jose festival?

I go there quite a bit!
L~P

Jennifer Hepler-Takens said...

WoW! I'd help you if I were closer to you! Have fun adding the personalities with paint!

CCs Whimsies said...

I know you can do it, David! The painting is my favorite part!!

Len said...

Stamina Schmamina, get on with it my boy!

They look great and will look even better in 4 weeks time!

I want to see those cows- I think they're cows!

Rusty-Prim said...

OMG...but WOW i´m curious to see all the figures finished!

Lins Artyblobs said...

They are looking good now, can't wait to see em painted... get on with lad!:)

Liz Revit said...

You're not kidding! You do have a lot of painting to do. I think I see some cows in there. Can't wait to see the finished pieces.

Holiday Sparkle - Cyndi LaChance said...

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!! I can't wait to see them :)
The are already spactacular.

Janell Berryman Pumpkinseeds folk art said...

Busy man! I am so guilty of not visiting often enough. Glad I stopped by to see your newest art. They are great David! Thanks for stopping by my blog as well. Happy holidays my friend!

Christopher A. Klingler said...

CUTE angels David!

Thanks for stopping by and hope you had a great turkey day!

Chris >:-)

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron