Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tale of a Tail




I know why they call it Labor Day! I did nothing but work this weekend. With upcoming art shows, I have got to spend every spare minute I have building up my inventory. The PaperClay is flying fast and furious.

Speaking of PaperClay, I sung it's praises in last week's post. This week, I'd like to speak up about PaperClay's under appreciated sibling: Diamond Clay. I'm working on a Halloween cat, and you can see by the WIP photos, his tail is pretty thin. I tried creating this tail in PaperClay. But after it dried, it cracked and became too unstable. I turned to my opened pack of Diamond Clay. I had only tried this clay once, a long while back and was not pleased with the results. I decided to remodel the tail in this new material. The results are in; this stuff is GREAT! It's not as pliable and easy to mold as PaperClay, but it is tough as a ROCK when it dries! This is a wonderful material for small details or thin pieces (like kitty tails). It seems to dry faster than PaperClay, and doesn't remain workable for as long, plus it's a little more expensive than PaperClay. But, the tradeoff is a tougher-than-nails piece that can take a real beating!

4 comments:

Flora said...

Thank you for that information David, I have used a floral wire for added support,but I think I need to get some Diamond clay! Love this piece!
Blessings,Flora

Ginny Diezel said...

Wow! What a cutie! I have used Diamond clay and found it more difficult to work with, but you are right about its durability! Your piece looks great!

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

Love that Piece David..I have used the Diamond Clay before to. It is a bit harder to use..and It does dry faster, which is my problem with it..But will keep in mind what you said about the durability!
Candy

ReneeBuchananArt said...

Hmmm... I've never heard of Diamond Clay. I will have to try it out because I am SO tired of a box of body parts arriving at their home destinations where the polymer has broken!

Your work and your blog are wonderful :)

Renee