Monday, June 22, 2009

Chicken Lips Meets Paper Maché!

I'm always looking for new tools and materials to add to my creative "tool belt." So when I saw that so many artists I admire were using Fastmaché and Celluclay, I decided that I wanted to jump in and give it a try.

This pumpkin guy is my first attempt at Fastmaché. He's stands at about 12" high.

I've found that Fastmaché is a WHOLE lot different than Paperclay! There are most certainly pros and cons to using it. The biggest con...you have to mix the stuff before using. And as I found out, if you don't mix it right, it isn't going to work. It's also very difficult to get a smooth surface and to apply details to. But, then again, the "lumpy-bumpy" surface gives the piece a lot of character and provides that "vintage" look. The Fastmaché is also much easier to use when covering a large surface (like the Pumpkin guy's body). It drys really fast and when finished, this stuff is as hard as a rock - from a durability stand point it's excellent! It also takes paint very well.

I am really excited about the possibilities of using Fastmaché in conjunction with Paperclay!

I have to give an enormous "shout-out" of thanks to Laurie Hardin and Johanna Parker who talked me through how to use this unique material. I would never of figured out how to use it right without their help. They are both masters of what they do and I'm thankful for their support and friendship!

20 comments:

Kathy said...

Well whatever you use...you always make amazing pieces of art. He's great!

Christopher A. Klingler said...

FAB!!!

Good luck with the CelluClay...I'm not a big fan of it...I needed a belt-sander to smooth it! Ask Johanna & Laurie about it for any needed tips. They are masters with CelluClay too! '-)

Monday Greets,
mE

Theresa said...

He's great David!!! I agree with Kathy and Carrie... it doesn't matter what you use because this guy is fantastic. I love his facial expression... it's priceless. :)

Hugs,

Theresa

Gourdqueen said...

I have to agree, doesn't matte what you use, the outcome is the same, awesome!
I use Apoxie Sculpt and Celluclay. I haven't heard of Fastmaché, I need to check it.
Gourdie

Creepy Creations by Jamie Moore said...

Love the pumpkin guy, he turned out great!

Jamie

magikalseasons said...

He's wonderful!

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

You "done" good David...giggle!! I knew it wouldn't take you long to succeed with the material!! Thanks for the shout-out!
Laurie

yoborobo said...

He looks great, David! Congrats on mastering the new materials!! WOO HOO!!! :) Pam

William Bezek said...

That is great David, and I agree Johanna is a master!

Imseeingraggedies Nutt said...

OMGosh!!! I am just dieing over that face!!! Soooo adorable!!!

KatHreN said...

once again great JOB. I never heard of those two mediums before. He looks awesome!!!
KaTHren

snippetgirl said...

You look like an expert already!!! Excellent work, as always! I'd love to try those mediums too...i really like the lumpy bumpy look...really does make it more textured and vintage. So cool!

PEA said...

Yes, and you took to it like a duck to water. Wonderful as always. Another giggler piece I see. Thank you I needed a laugh after this week.
Blessings,Pea

Carolee said...

Fabulous! I just love trying new materials...although seldom do I have this kind of success the very first time out; a tribute to your amazing talent!

~ Carolee

Gail Lackey said...

Hey thanks for the tips..I'm always looking for new materials to experiment with.
Looks like you got great results!!
Hugs, Gail

Brandi McKenna said...

Looks like you've mastered it to me! I love fast mache also! I switched to it cause its cheaper than the grey mache offered by same company, and I have to buy in bulk. Another way to smooth it is to add cooked flour water paste to it or just to put it on your hands when smoothing down the surface. Works great!

lisanelsonart said...

This guy makes me feel happy just looking at him. You always do such a wonderful job and it looks like you've already mastered this new clay material!

PJHornbergerFolkArtist.com said...

Looks great! Love the look, all the bumps. Those 2 know their stuff.... and now so do you! Great job. PJ

By Way of Salem said...

And I love your new guy too! Jeannine

Robin Armstrong Seeber said...

one of my favs!!!