Friday, January 8, 2010

Cleaning - Phase 2!

I just finished the last of my January cleaning. And this was a BIG one! My workshop. Here is where I do all the "messy" stuff; mixing clay, sculpting, airbrushing...anything that makes a mess! It took a while to clean this up - you wouldn't believe the state that it was in. :(

I also made a new "drying closet" for my clay. Last year you may remember that I put a dehumidifier in a sectioned-out part of my studio. This worked great in drying the clay quicker and more thoroughly, except in the summer it made my work area almost unbearably hot! So, I've re-invented the drying closet by putting the dehumidifier on a wire rack shelf and surrounded it with a plastic shower curtain. This keeps the heat in and makes the dehumidifier more efficient. A preliminary test showed that it's going to work great! Kind of like a big dehydrator. Hey, maybe I can start making jerky!

With all the cleaning complete, it's time to get to work. I've already started on a couple Cupids for valentines and some Springtime bunnines will soon be hopping by!

14 comments:

Bearly Sane said...

Is that studio really going to stay like that David?
Looking forward to what you have planned for Valentine's and Easter, I am sure you will have me smiling!
Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane

Len said...

WOW! My studio is still not tidy. I love your giant dehydrator idea, I think I will steal your inspiration! Looking forward to seeing your new work.

Cody Goodin said...

Wow! Your studio is so clean. I can't seem to get out of the winter lazys yet. Good luck keeping it tidy though. Can't wait to see your new stuff especially the bunnies.

Sheryl Parsons said...

You really have a lot of space to mess around in David! I will be posting my before and after photos soon. You will be disgusted and amazed....;-)

Crystal Martin said...

oh, I would believe the state of mess it was in...mine is the same way...disgusting. Do you ever wonder how we let them get to that point? Still working on mine.

FishStikks said...

What a fabulous idea!!

I wonder if I could ever get the garage clean enough for something like this to work, hehe.

Looking forward to seeing all your new pieces!

Brandi McKenna said...

Brilliant ! Oh how I love your drying shelf! Very efficient.......can't wait to see your new pieces!

Georgina said...

You are soooo good, David. Maybe you can give me some ideas for my studio...I call it chaotic organization...meaning, it's a horrible mess. My mother told me the other day I'm sick and need help...I know, but I didn't think she meant my studio clutter!! I told her to watch "Hoarders" on A&E and then call me sick!!! LOL

Have a great weekend and keep up that cleaning!!

xxoo,
Georgina

ImagiMeri said...

Wow, what a clean studio, puts me to shame on mine. I just received some heavy duty plastic shelving, and your studio has given me the idea for the perfect usage. I haven't had a drying staging area, and now I will........thanks for the inspiration.

Meri

Lance said...

I envy you and your work shop. It looks great! Good luck keeping it that way!

Halloween Fanatic said...

THANKS DAVID! I just read your comment on my blog! THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! That's going to work so well. Don't ya just love a clean studio? I think it's inspiring... for as long as it lasts... It sure looks good!

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I wanted to stop by and say Hi... I am in the process of adding all of my fellow AhA artisans to my blog!!! So, you are added... Hugs, Mo

By Way of Salem said...

Do you think if I sat on one of those shelves for awhile, I might shrink as well? Like whittle away some inches? LOL!