Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like....Halloween!

Halloween has begun to take over my studio, and I couldn't be happier! It feels so good to start sculpting pumpkins and skeletons and witches again. It's like being reunited with long lost friends; that is if your friends happen to be pumpkins and skeletons and witches ;)

My first batch of Halloween goodies are going all the way to Pennsylvania to the National Halloween Convention. Check out the web site (one of my pieces is even featured on the Home page!). Spookytime Jingles is going to have a huge display at the convention featuring many of the site's wonderful artists and Chicken Lips will be right there with them.

I SO wish I could go myself to this show! It is full of amazing decorations, special effects, props and some of the most God-awful frightening "Haunted Houses" in the world! This stuff is right up my alley. As a kid, I used to build "Haunted Houses" in my backyard. My parents and neighbors would indulge me by going through them (often times crawling on their hands and knees). Even with my limited budget of what I could afford to buy in the way of props at my local Five and Dime store, I still managed to scare the bejesus out of them! I can only image what I could do with some of the props and decorations available now. Take a look at the web site and see just how far we've come from plastic spiders and glow-in-the-dark paper skeletons!

13 comments:

ImagiMeri said...

Hi David,

How ya doin'? It looks like you're definately back in your element, and that skeleton is awesome. Our show is coming up soon, and I finally got all my swaps sent out, so now I can go back to my sculpting and maybe get a few more in before the show. Best of luck to you on your shows.

Hugs,
Meri

Unknown said...

what can I say? I adore the skull!

Unknown said...

They're looking super in all their toothy-smiling-lipness! lol I'm intrigued with the little wire rack on your work bench. Is it holding paint bottles? It looks to be very handy.- Deb

Chicken Lips said...

Yes, I built that wire rack to hold my little bottles of acrylic paint. An attempt to get myself organized...LOL!

Jonty said...

It's not just that great big smile thatis infectious. They ALL are from head to toes lol. Love them all.

Jorge de Rojas said...

Your a busy bee all right. Great to see you up and running full speed. Can't wait to see what it all adds up to.

BlacknickSculpture said...

It was a pleasure looking through your blog David. Your work is just great! What an imagination you have.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your creepy creations as Halloween draws nearer.

Bearly Sane said...

My heavens David, you are soooo organised...Halloween already and Betty OMG she's already for Christmas. Normally I say you bring a smile to my face...but you're really scaring me this time...can it really be coming around this quickly?

Love all the finished art in the previous post!

Warmest hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane

By Way of Salem said...

Oh David, I love that your doing Halloween again! Puts me in the spirit too! I was JUST thinking of doing some pumpkins and witches. I love seeing all the WIP's. Oh I want to create now! Hey look I'm not on FB!!! LOL! Good going. I'll check back to see them all painted! J

Unknown said...

Isn't is so much fun to do artwork that's 'out of season'?!! We love Halloween also and have MANY displays for all kinds of haunted-ness! Your work is looking great!!

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Halloween it is!! That's all I've worked on the last two weeks and I feel like I'm not moving fast enough. These look wonderful David...of course!!! Can't wait to see them painted in their full glory!!
Laurie

Cyn said...

Oh these look wonderful! Halloween is my fav holiday!! I am a recent follower and LOVE your work! I hope to one day purchase one!

Unknown said...

Oooh How exciting!!! Glad you are getting back into the swing of things!!!!! Great idea with the wire rack!!!!!
Many Hugs,
Jackie